Have you heard about the DivaCup?
The DivaCup is an alternative menstrual product to tampons and pads. It is a silicone cup that you insert into the vagina that collects blood. The DivaCup is 100% plastic-free, BPH free and odorless. It comes in two sizes; one for women who had children and/or are older than 30 years old and a smaller size for women who have not had children or are under 30 years old. It is a product you can use on land, air or sea, meaning anywhere.
This is a product that I use and I will share my reasons for using it but will also present the cons.
- I use this product for its eco-friendly nature. You use it, wash it, and re-use it. There are no plastic wrappers to dispose of and no waste is produced other than the original packaging.
- It is cost effective. It is a one time purchase, or you may by a 2nd size after a baby.
- I can wear for a longer period of time, especially during a busy day with clients up to 12 hours.
- It increases confidence in the water.
- It is great for travel: less to pack, don’t have to worry about running out of products.
Here are some cons:
- It can be messy when removing to clean. If you are more sensitive to handling blood, this product may not be for you
- It can be finicky getting the diva cup in. I recommend this instructional video to help (see below)
- Pain, if you find tampons uncomfortable, the diva cup may be uncomfortable for you. You have to fold it to get it inside and then it expands open once inside.
- Trouble pulling it out. I have read/heard some women find it difficult to pull out because the tab is small to pull on. I don’t find the diva cup difficult to remove, but others do.
- Diva cup falls out. This could be a sign of pelvic floor weakness and I would suggest a consult/assessment with a pelvic floor physio close to you. Find one in Canada @ www.pelvichealthsolutions.ca
I find it important to state now… you cannot lose the diva cup in your vagina!.
These are the main pros and cons I know and heard of. I would love to hear what you think of this product simply out of curiosity. If you want to get one, I have seen them at some Shoppers Drug Mart or www.well.ca.
The Pelvic Health Lady